The Rotary Club of Mississauga
The Rotary Club of Cooksville, later to become the Rotary Club of Mississauga, was granted its charter by Rotary International on April 23, 1954. The club’s first meetings were held in the old Cooksville United Church on Dundas Street. As the populations of Cooksville and The Toronto Township grew, the Club’s name changed to The Rotary Club of Cooksville-Dixie with its meetings held in Applewood Village. Under this name, the Club sponsored the Rotary Club of Streetsville in 1961.
In July 1960, the club’s charter president, Archie Turner, was appointed Governor of (what was then) District 707. Archie was the first of six District Governors from our club. He was followed by Bob Watson (’73), Duncan Lyall (’88), Bob Harriman (’89), Jerry Wijngaard (’99) and Bernd Dinert in (2010).
In 1969 Rotary International approved another name change and we became known as The Rotary Club of Mississauga. Our record of support to local and overseas communities is impressive and varied. Rotary’s special focus on “youth” has led to the Club’s involvement with the Youth Exchange Program, Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA), Camp Enterprise and Adventures in Citizenship. The Club sponsors the TL Kennedy Interact Club, The Glen Forest Interact, and the Mississauga Rotaract Club and also sponsors the Mississauga Probus Club.